A Funny Thing Happened In The Subway Last Night
December has been unmistakably cold in Seoul with temperatures down to -13 degrees celcius. There is a lot of ice and snow on the streets, and it makes doing distance in training difficult. Last night I ran through one of the extensive subway stations for training. Jongno 3-Ga has six platforms and 15 exits, so I could get some good distance, and even work in plenty of stairs into the run.
Jongno 3-Ga station became the world’s largest indoor gym for me last night as I sought refuge from the cold and ice during my training run.
Six platforms and 15 exits provided a good route to traverse without freezing entirely. I even had stairs!
Glasgow, Toronto and New York will be slightly warmer, and I expect wet, not snowy or icy. Running in cold for extended periods comes with its own challenges.
Here is the schedule for the journey ahead:
- Christmas Day fly to London
- 26 December arrive in London and directly transit to Glasgow
- 28 December run in Glasgow
- 28 December fly to London
- 29 December fly to Toronto
- 31 December run in Toronto
- 31 December fly to New York
- 3 January run in New York
- 3 January hold a wake for my brother and after-party to celebrate the conclusion of the running stunt ahead of the Design Forum ahead
- 5/6 January return to Australia
4 thoughts on “A Funny Thing Happened In The Subway Last Night”
December 23, 2014 at 8:48 pm
December 23, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Thanks so much! Actually, I could get some good distance and long stretches that were mostly uninterrupted when outside of peak-hour. I’m not sure the Koreans knew what to make of me though in running shorts on a very cold night!
December 23, 2014 at 9:23 pm
I thought of your subway station training as I ran tonight, and of how cold it is over there. Admire your commitment and your problem solving! What a great solution and a good story.
December 23, 2014 at 9:30 pm
I don’t know why I didn’t think of it earlier! I will be using that more often from now! ^^